If no one is feeling ill:
1. Listen to the pattern of the beeps to determine the type of problem. A label or markings on the alarm should tell you what the beeps mean (i.e. faulty alarm, low battery, or alarm).
2. If you are unable to determine the nature of the beeping, turn off all appliances and sources of combustion (i.e. furnace, gas stoves, and fireplace).
3. Ventilate the house with fresh air by opening doors and windows.
4. Call a qualified professional to investigate the source of the possible CO buildup.
If illness is a factor:
1. Evacuate all occupants immediately.
2. Determine how many occupants are ill and determine their symptoms.
3. Call 9-1-1 and when relaying information to the dispatcher, include the number of people feeling ill.
4. Do not re-enter the home without the approval of a fire department representative.
5. Call a qualified professional to repair the source of the CO.