- Participation in energy aggregation with power to be supplied from 100% renewable sources
- Portion of Uptown Station's 3rd floor roof covered in vegetation (green roof)
- Solar Electric Demonstration System on Children's Discovery Museum roof
- Lighting upgrades throughout the Town in many buildings - more efficient fixtures and occupancy controls
- Greenhouse Gas Baseline Emissions Inventory
- Energy Education
- Passage of a solar and wind ordinance within the Zoning Code
The U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy & Environmental (LEED®) green building program is the preeminent program for the design, construction, maintenance and operations of high-performance green buildings. Learn more at usgbc.org/LEED.
In 2009, a portion of the Uptown Normal renewal area achieved Silver level certification in the LEED® for Neighborhood Development (LEED® ND) program based on the environmentally sensitive design of the Uptown as a neighborhood area. In addition to including several LEED-certified buildings, Uptown Normal has walkable, tree-lined streets, bike and pedestrian amenities, proximity to public transit, and many other sustainable design features.
- Uptown Station was built per LEED® standards and registered with the certification goal of LEED® Silver
- Children's Discovery Museum was built per LEED® standards and achieved LEED® Silver certification