Identity Theft


If you are the victim of identity theft, in addition to filing a police report you should also notify the Federal Trade Commission or call 877-IDTHEFT (877) 438-4338). The FTC has free publications to help victims resolve identity theft complaints.

Victims should also contact the major credit reporting agencies:

Free Credit Reports

All individuals are entitled to receive a free credit report once a year from each of the three agencies. They can be obtained at or call (877) 322-8228. Fraud alerts can be placed on a consumers file to alert potential creditors that an individual's personal information has been or may have been compromised.

Victims who suspect their Social Security Number is being used by another to report taxable income should contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.

Reporting to the Police

To report identity theft, call the non-emergency dispatch number at (309) 888-5030.