Town snow removal crews try to avoid mailboxes, but sometimes it's not possible. If a Town snowplow damages a mailbox through direct contact or due to the force of the snow rolling off the plow, we will repair or replace it with a standard metal mailbox and/or wooden post.
To report a damaged mailbox, please complete our Damaged Mailbox Form.
- Report the incident to the Town within 2 weeks of the occurrence
- Post replacements will be made once the soil thaws; until then, either a temporary mailbox or temporary repairs will be made to allow mail service
- Mailboxes should be installed following United States Postal Regulations.
If the current mailbox and/or post cannot be repaired, residents may choose reimbursement up to $70 in lieu of a replacement post or mailbox.
Snow removal also may accidentally damage parkway grass. If parkway damage occurs due to a plow riding over a curb, the Public Works team will repair the damage as soon as weather conditions permit.
To report damage, call Public Works office at 309-454-9571.
- If sod is rolled back and can be re-used, the department will restore it
- If the sod is damaged beyond repair, Public Works teams will restore the area with topsoil and seed
Repairs will be made when the earliest appropriate weather conditions exist and materials are available.
Note: Property owners installing plants or decorative materials on parkways do so at their own risk.