Residential leaf vacuum collection will start on Monday, October 31, 2022.
Leaf crews work in one zone until it is complete. This may take multiple days and collection is NOT a weekly event. Please take a look at this interactive map to see how our crew is progressing.
Spring and Summer
The Town of Normal does not employ leaf vacuuming crews in the spring or summer. During this time leaves are collected as Landscape Waste and must be in a paper bag or a landscape waste container. Seasonal landscape waste collection normally runs from early April through until approximately Thanksgiving.
Alternatively, leaves can be brought to our Landscape Waste Drop-Off Site at 1301 Warriner St. The Drop-Off Site is open all year round to Normal residents.
Open burning of leaves is not permitted at any time within the corporate limits of Normal.
Leaf Vacuum Collection Dates
Start Date: Monday, October 31, 2022
Crews work Monday - Friday during the fall.
Here's an interactive map showing our crew's progress. Use the same map to find out your zone.
- Leaf crews work in one zone (see 'Key to Zones' above right) until it is complete. This may take multiple days.
- It may take multiple weeks to complete all five zones, especially during heavy leaf fall. Crews hope to pass through each zone multiple times during leaf collection season.
- Leaves should be raked to the back of the curb on the grass or to the shoulder of the roadway. If you live in an area where cars are continuously parked, place the leaves at the edge of your driveway or as near to the driveway as possible.
- Do not place leaves in the street as they can block storm water inlets, obstruct traffic and hinder street maintenance.
- Do not place sticks and other items in the leaf pile. Items other than leaves may cause clogs and possible equipment malfunction. Mixed piles may not be collected. Place sticks in a separate pile. See Brush Collection.
- Keep leaf piles no higher than three feet for safety.
- Keep leaves away from mailboxes, utility poles, guide wires, water valves and other obstructions.
- Leaves may also be dropped at the Town of Normal Landscape Waste Drop off site at 1301 Warriner Street. The drop site is open 24/7 for Normal residents.
- If seasonal weekly Landscape Waste Collection has been discontinued, do not place leaves in bags or containers during leaf vacuum season.
- Leaf vacuuming is generally discontinued after we receive our first significant snow accumulation of the season.