Storm Water & Erosion Control
In 2018, the Town of Normal adopted a stream buffer ordinance to protect, establish and maintain vegetation in buffer and wetland areas to help address excessive erosion and promote a more natural environment.
The ordinance established new methods for maintaining vegetation in these areas and established protection of water quality, effectively changing the way the Town maintained these areas and the frequency with which they are mowed. The Town does not wish to see areas of overgrowth or extreme weediness any more than citizens; however, it is taking time to implement these new practices.
The storm water management program funds several projects including street sweeping, detention basin maintenance, storm sewer repair and creek bed maintenance. The Town maintains:
- 14.3 miles of creek system
- seven regional detention basins
- 53 bridges or major road culverts
- 175 public storm sewer discharge structures into the creek system
The existing storm sewer system consists of 95 miles of sewer main with 1,300 manholes and 5,500 inlet structures. Capital improvement expenses associated with this infrastructure are eligible for funding through a storm water utility.
The program also funds an overhead sanitary sewer service grant program. Overhead sewer services are effective in remedying sanitary sewer back –ups in flood prone areas. Property owners may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Town if they decide to install overhead sanitary sewer service systems.
To learn more about the Town of Normal Storm Water Management Program, contact the Storm Water Hotline at 309-433-3403 or Email Julie Weger, storm water engineering technician.
- 2021 Permit Renewal for Discharges for MS4s (ILR40)
- 2013-2014 Permit Renewal for Discharges for MS4s (ILR40)
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency Annual Inspection Reports
- 2021 Annual Inspection Report
- 2020 Annual Inspection Report
- 2019 Annual Inspection Report
- 2018 Annual Inspection Report
- 2017 Annual Inspection Report
- 2016 Annual Inspection Report
- 2015 Annual Inspection Report
- 2014 Annual Inspection Report
- 2013 Annual Inspection Report
- 2012 Annual Inspection Report
- 2011 Annual Inspection Report
- 2010 Annual Inspection Report
- 2009 Annual Inspection Report